Sunday 31 May 2015

Finding the right glasses for my face shape

Well, this is weird, isn't it!? Seeing me in a pair of glasses that aren't sunglasses!
I've got a bit of a love/hate relationship with specs - I love how they look on others, but when it comes to myself all I can think about when it comes to glasses are those awful pink ones I wore when I was 5! So awful, in fact, that my cousin decided to dig out that specific childhood photo of me on my grandpa's funeral to "lighten up the mood". To my horror, it worked... ;)

Yes, I was not a beautiful child, especially not as a speccy 4 eyes - which is why I quickly took my glasses off as soon as my classmates commented on them. Lucky for me my eyesight got a lot better when I grew up, and I didn't have to wear my glasses anymore.

Nowadays, however, (20 years on!) I think a pair of glasses can work great as a fashion accessory, and I've decided to do a trial with some of the glasses from Glasses Direct. The collection I've gone for is Scout, as I really like the shapes and colours of their frames.

I could choose up to 4 pairs to trial, and they were delivered within a few days in a flat box that could easily fit through the post. 

The first pair, and my favourites, were these cat eye shaped specs with a subtle brown lace pattern. The style suits my face shape and the earthy colour works well with my complexion. A nice, soft and natural look!
 
I do like the fact that these pale dusky pink glasses are more quirky looking, and a bit oversized. I believe you call this style Wayfarer. You end up with a bit of a playful look, which could be good in everyday situations, but I would probably not wear them to work. I also think they would look better on someone with a lighter complexion, and blonde hair. However, with my slightly rounder face they are known to be a good match, style-wise.

Another pair of lace patterned glasses, but with a straight and very corporate rectangular shape. It's the same style as the very first photo, but in another colour. These are so wrong for my face for two reasons; 1. My face is too round for these. 2. My ears must be a bit uneven, because these glasses sit really wonky on my face, and you can see it even clearer with the glasses having such a straight shape. Nice glasses though, but they would probably look a lot better on someone else!

When choosing a pair of glasses, think of the 4 basic face shapes (round, oval, square and heart shaped), and basically don't choose a round style for a round face, or a square style for a square face, etc. If you need help determining your face shape you can simply ask your optician. Glasses Direct has also got a whole section on their website which can help you choose the right glasses for your face shape.

What are your thoughts on glasses? Do you love or loathe them?
Would you wear a pair just as a fashion accessory?

No comments:

Post a Comment