Friday 27 March 2015

Spots and Stripes

spots and stripes nail art
I was inspired by the pretty purple spring colours in my garden, and decided to create a manicure a little bit based on this. 

purple nail polish
The nail polishes I've used are all of different types of purple - a bright purple glitter polish from Zoya, a dark and dusky purple polish from Barry M, and a very light but also dusky lilac polish from Barry M. I'm finishing off with a matte top coat.

cuticle clipper
Other tools used for this manicure is my trusted dotting tool, a cuticle clipper, nail tape and tiny little metal studs.

purple nail art
I love the look of multiple accent nails when it comes to my manicures, so as usual I'm starting off with a few different base colours. I've planned the nail art in my head beforehand so that I know which nails to stick the metal studs on before the nail polish has dried. This is the best way of attaching nail studs. Simply just add a layer of top coat afterwards to make it stick properly. DO NOT USE GLUE as this will be a nightmare to get off!

nail art tape
I've recently started experimenting a bit with nail art tape, so I'm nowhere near a pro yet. Here, I'm just doing a few simple stripes. Start by cutting a number of pieces of tape long enough to cover your nail, and a little bit more on top of that. Use your cuticle clipper for this, as it's a lot sharper than a pair of scissors. Start by placing one piece of tape in the middle of your nail, and go from there - trying to space out the pieces of tape as evenly as possible.

polka dot nail art
Make sure the pieces of tape sit tightly on your nail, and all the way out to the edges. If not, you'll end up with uneven stripes. Paint your taped nail withyour contrasting polish, and IMMEDIATELY remove the pieces of tape with the help of the cuticle clipper. Carefully grab one piece of tape at the time, and slowly pull it off the nail.

For the polka dots on my other nail I've simply used a dotting tool.

dusky purple manicure
Finish off your manicure with a matte top coat for that smooth look, and TADAA! 

What do you think of my dusky purple manicure with spots and stripes, studs and glitter? 
Do you like the multiple accent nail type of manicure?

9 comments:

  1. the purple glitter is amazing, absolutely love your nails x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I was always wondering what tape to use to make stripes, I'm so silly, obviously there is a special nail art tape! I like the fact that you got inspired by flowers in your garden, it all looks perfect!

    Dash xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Swooning over your mani. Looks gorge. Lovely blog here btw! Would you like to follow each other on GFC? Please let me know on my blog so I can follow back. Thank you.
    xox
    Lenya
    FashionDreams&Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  4. amazing!!!lovely nails!!!nice blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful nail art! I'm blown away! The design is so pretty! Lovely blog <3
    Kisses from Hungary xoxo

    www.csengespoint.blogspot.hu

    ReplyDelete
  6. How pretty! I love this so much, it's so gorgeous! It really does bring to mind those lavender flowers that inspired you :) Great post!
    xo Kiki
    https://colormekiki.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. So awesome! Love the colors and design

    Mel
    www.girlandthepolkadot.com

    ReplyDelete