Friday 13 June 2014

Broken mirrors and superstitions

You all know that I’ve got a bit of an (read a big) obsession with nail polish, and today I came across a picture of this awesome looking manicure by the very talented blogger Copycat Claws. The manicure is a silver base with black details, and resembles a broken mirror – really clever!
The ironic thing is that I found this particular picture today of all days – Friday the 13th!
I don’t know if you’re superstitious, but I think we all know that a broken mirror generally means bad luck, and the number 13 tends to be an unlucky number. Double bad luck for me today?

One of my best friends (who happens to be Irish) was absolutely thrilled when a bird shit on her leg once when we were sitting having lunch in the park. I just looked at her questioningly, but according to the Irish superstitions (and they’re the ones who are supposed to be the lucky people) this is supposed to bring you good luck.
This got me thinking… How superstitious do we tend to be? 
I am not one bit superstitious, and don’t believe that black cats, walking under ladders, or putting your keys on the table will make any difference to my life. Neither do I believe the opposite – that 2 magpies, a penny on the ground or a 4 leaf clover will bring me good luck. However, according to a recent infographic made by Tombola over a third of the people in Yorkshire are superstitious, and a whole 7 out of 10 UK citizens have some sort of superstitions when it comes to Friday the 13th – some so bad that they won’t even leave the house in that particular day… Crazy, but interesting.

Maybe I should go out tonight wearing something like this, and see what happens? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment